It's not done yet; we're making a lot of changes. Tim has music lessons on Monday and Thursdays, and likes to be around on Wednesdays because Mr. B has more free time that day, and it's no fun if Tim has a stack of books to get through. So those days need to be lighter. Also, Tim has his own list of books that he wants to get to, and I figure he's old enough to help decide what he wants to read. He only has two years of school left and some of these books are books he's wanted to read for awhile - and I want to make time for them now, since they are educational.
So, he's reading a Year 6 biography on Churchill and that's the only biography he's reading. He wanted to read The Last Lion, which is two volumes about Churchill, but I don't see how he'll fit it in, so he reluctantly agreed to do Never Give In instead. He wants to read Ruskin's Mornings in Florence, so he's doing that as his art text instead of The Story of Art. He loves H.V. Morton's travel books, so he's reading three of those this year instead of The World by Jan Morris. He wasn't impressed with the logic book by the Bluedorns, and opted for Euclid's Elements instead. For poetry, he's doing Millay, Yeats and Auden instead of a contemporary anthology. He wanted to read the writing book by Annie Dillard that he saw mentioned in the Beehive blog, so he's using that instead of On Writing Well. He's doing Darwin's Black Box and The Case for a Creator instead of the nature books in Year 11. He's skipping Brideshead Revisited. And he'll fit in Roosevelt's Letters, How Green Was My Valley, and To Kill a Mockingbird as free reading. He's going to look at Mein Kampf but not read all of it.
So I have the list of books he's doing and which days of the week he'd like to do them, and I'll try to get his daily schedule ready tonight.
It's done now; you can see it here.
10-year-old Kahoa's Year 4 schedule is also done; he started Year 4 last year and wasn't ready for it, so I created a Year 3.5. This year we're trying again. His schedule is here.
Keola's Year 7b schedule is here.
And what about my own reading list? I'm already committed to Parents and Children, CM's volume 2. Besides Shakespeare and Plutarch, which we do as a family, and our daily poem from AO's Year 1 poetry anthology, this is my tentative reading list for the year:
Year 4 Probable Read-alouds
Kon Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl
It Couldn't Just Happen by Lawrence Richards
Year 7
Secrets of the Universe by Paul Fleisher (probable read-aloud)
The Life of the Spider by Henri Fabre
History of English Literature by H. E. Marshall
Taste of Chaucer by Anne Malcolmson
Medieval Poetry
year 11 (I doubt I'll get to more than one or two of these)
Testament of Youth by Vera Brittain
In Search of England by H. V. Morton
Autobiography of a Slander by Edna Lyall
Seven Men Who Rule the World from the Grave by David Breese
Mornings in Florence by John Ruskin
I've been wanting to read some of the Year 7 books for years, so I'm making them my first priority (after CM's vol 2, that is!)
Tuesday, September 05, 2006
Tim's Year 11 Schedule
Posted by
LNL
at
9/05/2006 01:32:00 AM
Categories: Homeschooling
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)




|