Saturday, November 29, 2008

How Did My Frozen Turkey Fare?

The turkey came out great. I covered it with foil, and it browned perfectly even under the foil. Inside, the meat was perfect, and not overcooked or anything.

Just two comments - first of all, it took ten hours. It was the biggest turkey we've ever gotten - 21 pounds. Usually we get a 9-13 pound turkey, which is supposed to take five hours if you bake it frozen. But we rarely eat meat, so the few times we do have it, it goes fast. This year, having three big boys, I decided to indulge them and get a huge turkey. I was barely able to get it in the oven, and I couldn't get it out of the oven. If I indulge in that much turkey again next year, I'll get two smaller turkeys.

And, second, after three hours in the oven, the turkey was thawed enough to get the plastic bag of giblets out. I looked inside with a flashlight and couldn't find another one - but when the turkey was completely done, I discovered a second bag inside the neck. Luckily, it was still fully intact - if it had melted, the turkey would have had to go in the trash because of toxins from the plastic.