I got tagged, I got tagged!! I was tagged by The Common Room to answer this question posted on another blog:
New book tag:
Imagine that a local philanthropist is hosting an event for local high school students and has asked you to pick out five to ten books to hand out as door prizes. At least one book should be funny and at least one book should provide some history of Western Civilization and at least one book should have some regional connection. The philanthropist doesn't like foul language (but will allow some four-letter words in context, such as expressed during battle by soldiers). Otherwise things are pretty wide open. What do you pick?
Hmmm, this won't be so easy. I'm really not as well-read as everyone else I know doing this. In fact, in the 'how many books do you own?' contest, I have only a third of the so-far-winner's 6000.
Funny book
--Tremendous Trifles, a collection of essays by GK Chesterton
--A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain
some history of Western Civilization - I'd take a leap and presume that many high-schoolers are as clueless about history as I am and would like something accessible and enjoyable, but not insultingly easy.
--Lives by Hendrick Van Loon, since history is always more interesting when read via biographies
--The Story of Mankind by Hendrick Van Loon
some regional connection
--Walden by Henry David Thoreau
--Hawaii's Story by Hawaii's Queen, Lili'uokalani
I'll also give:
--America's Favorite Poems by Pinsky and Dietz since everyone wants to appreciate poetry, and most of us could use some friendly help
--The Royal Road to Romance by Richard Halliburton, a fun, fun travel book
--Families Where Grace is in Place by Jeff VanVonderen to enhance anyone's family relationships no matter what their role in the family
--Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, which everyone should read at least once
--Eating in the Raw by Carol Alt - okay, maybe this would end up being a consolation prize, or a booby prize. But, in the event that someone was interested in a really healthy, healing diet, this is an accessible, non-extreme introduction to a raw diet.
And now I'm tagging Camille, BetsyPage, Lighthouse Academy, and Homeschooling4Jesus.
Friday, June 17, 2005
Book Tag!
Posted by
LNL
at
6/17/2005 01:12:00 PM
Categories: Blogthings, Fun
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)




|