Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Cool Intellectualism

Fa-So-La-La of the Beehive blog said (commenting on this post) that it's much easier to be intellectual in cold weather. I agree, and I have found more proof.

The book is Uncle Tom's Cabin, the scene is a southern mansion. Miss Ophelia, a Very Proper Lady brought up in the North, is trying to get her languid cousin Auguste St. Clare, brought up in the South, to discuss slavery with her.

"But this is a serious subject, my boy, Auguste," said Miss Ophelia, laying her hand on his forehead.

"Dismally so," said he; "and I--well, I never want to talk seriously in hot weather. What with the mosquitos and all, a fellow can't get himself up to any very sublime moral flights; and I believe," said St. Clare, suddenly rousing himself up, "there's a theory, now! I understand why northern nations are always more virtuous than southern ones,--I see into that whole subject."