I started with a pattern online. I've made these for Tim and his brothers, and then Miss Roxie and I made three, and then it dawned on me - by making the hood neck bigger and gathering it to fit the neck of the cloak, I could make a better looking hood. So I tried it on a cloak I made for myself. I also made an extra quarter of a circle which I added to the half circle that the pattern calls for so that my cloak is a 3/4 circle. I added a trim around the hood made of the same fabric as the cloak (forest green fleece) and that made it stiff enough not to flop so much when I put the hood up. It ties with a shoe-lace secured inside the seam where the hood meets the cloak.
I made one for Miss M, too, but she wasn't patient enough to pose in hers.
Just a reminder - I don't sew, I can't make pattern pieces fit. But this is an easy project that even I could do. The only sewing required is stitching the two pieces of the hood together, and then attaching it to the cloak. If you use fleece or some other fabric that doesn't unravel, you won't even need to hem it. The cloak itself is just a half circle with a small half-circle cut out for the neck. A half circle for an adult cloak takes 3 1/2 yards of 60" fabric. The hood is cut from the scraps.
Miss M's cloak and hood were from less than a yard of fleece.
Thursday, October 27, 2005
I Made a Cloak!
Posted by
LNL
at
10/27/2005 11:04:00 PM
Categories: Fun
Subscribe to:
Comment Feed (RSS)




|